
Natsuko and I have been talking about getting one of these for a long time. So when Natsuko
asked me what I'd like for my birthday this year, I said "a photo wall mural". We had to do a bit of planning in advance for this, because it takes 6-8 weeks to get one of these shipped to you from Germany. No local wallpaper stores have them in stock, because they don't get many requests for them. Apparently the demand for photo wall murals died in the late 70's when doctor's and dentists decided they wanted a different look in their waiting rooms. Luckily the mural arrived two days before my birthday.
We managed to find a local woman who specializes in wallpaper. It was very difficult to find someone who was willing to put up the mural. They are tricky to apply because the paper is quite thin. There is several pieces that all go together to form the image, and if they are not assembled very carefully, the mural can appear wonky. It's not as forgiving as a wallpaper pattern might be. Because of this a lot of tradespeople didn't want to take the risk, or wanted to charge obscene amounts of money.
The woman (Roxsane Tanner) who put up the mural was awesome, and she even tried to give us back some of the money we paid her. Natsuko and I now have a new friend in Steveston. It turns out she is also a certified Canoe instructor. My father and I might take her up on a lesson or two with our clipper scout !

5 comments:
That looks fantastic! We had one in the 80's of a birch tree forest in the fall. All you need is a carved wooden deer head...
Hey that's Mt Baker isn't it!? I've taken a photo like that...everybody has who drives up there not in the winter.
(ok technically it's Mount Shuksan, seen across "Picture Lake" from the road that goes to the Mt Baker ski area)
In the summer you guys should haul your living room set up there and take a simulated wall photo.
LOL! ferraro's idea rules!!!! If you need a hand dragging your furniture up there, I will even take some shots myself! :)
I know it's been over a year since this post but...can I ask where the lamp is from? Thanks!
The lamp came from a place in Vancouver called Koolhaus. We picked it up from their old 4th avenue store location when they were having a moving sale.
If you contact the gastown location they might be able to order you another one.
your pal,
Beadle
Post a Comment