
I'd heard a lot of good things about this movie, and I don't want to ruin anything for those of you who haven't seen it yet. So, I will make this review short.
This movie was dissapointing. It was ruined by the addition of one story element. It was very frustrating to watch. I got completely pulled into this one, and then ejected out of it with a "Well that's just dum" moment near the end. Natsuko was dissapointed because the captain character played by Hiroyuki Sanada didn't get enough screen time. She is 100% right.
The only other Danny Boyle film I've seen is 28 DAYS LATER. And now that I think about it, that movie was amazing up to a certain point to. In the case of SUNSHINE though, if the single element I'm talking about had been removed from the story, it would have been amazing. Seriously... Danny Boyle ! Your movie was so close to being awesome ! What were you thinking ?!?!?!
your pal,
Beadle
3 comments:
Among other things, I found many of the shots from outside (in space) to be poorly lit and therefore confusing to follow.
Danny Boyle directed Trainspotting, which is flawless. That was back when he had a different writer, who also wrote Shallow Grave which is good stuff too. 28 Days Later and Sunshine were both written by a guy who I guess thinks he needs to take his awesome man vs nature story and then in the third act concentrate all the antagonism into a human to get a conclusion to the story.
In a way it's totally broken to add an antagonist at the end like that, which is why audiences feel derailed. But in another way, it's hard to think up a better way to end things. I mean, the plan can't just go smoothly to a happy ending. But having the characters get picked off one by one by the forces of nature gets contrived at a certain point.
danny boyle bugs the crap out of me. Trainspotting was great (there were some flaws I thought) but it was good and I enjoyed it a couple of times. 28 Days Later sucked royal toad-holes. I thought the opening 15 minutes was great and I was really getting into it, but as soon as they were on the road it started to drag and then the ENTIRE fort stuff sucked royal toad-holes and crab-toes. LIKE IT WAS BRUTALLY BAD. The scene where the girl is running back to the guy and there's death and zombies everywhere and then she and he "collide" into each other and embrace and start making out?!?! Come on! Considering the circumstances, if I'm in a contained area and it's infested with zombies and I'm running about looking for a way out or some kind of refuge and I run into a room and there's a guy standing there covered in blood, I'd put an axe in his head without thinking. Likewise, if I was that guy and I'm holed up in a room that's surrounded by an infestation of zombies and some chick covered in blood suddenly barges into the room, I'd fill her full of lead! FACT. I hated 28 Days Later so I steered clear of "Sunshine."
Post a Comment