I took Friday off work to celebrate my birthday with Natsuko, and of course sneak in some more birding ;)
I spent the afternoon at the Corte Madera Marsh again and added a few new species to the list. At sunset I waited outside in our backyard hoping to spot an owl. And believe it or not, I actually ended up spotting one ! However, it was too dark to tell what type it was. So unfortunately it's an unconfirmed sighting. I'm guessing it was a Great Horned Owl. An amazing experience though. As soon as the sun dropped I could hear the owl calling. Not long after I heard it, it flew right above me. But at that point the light was gone from the sky, so all I could really see was a dark silhouette. I think it's going to be even more exciting when I finally get a confirmed Owl sighting now.
As a side note, I ended up adding an American Kestrel to my list while I was waiting to see an owl. I watched it catch some sort of rodent and eat it on top of the quarry ridge. I thought it was a Sparrow Hawk, until I looked it up and realized the term "Sparrow Hawk" is used to define a number of smaller hawks.
Saturday we headed back to the Bear Valley Visitor Center, and then out to Limantour Beach (for the first time). I added a White-Tailed Kite to the list at Limantour.
On another side note, I am now the proud owner of a canon rebel T3i ! So hopefully the quality of photos on this blog will improve. The photo of the Herring gull above was taken at Limantour Beach.
Overall a very successful birding weekend that has put my total so far at 41 species.

No comments:
Post a Comment