Tuesday, January 01, 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR !


We spent the day birding at Pt. Reyes National Seashore.  We saw deer and the famous Tule Elk, but not that many birds.  The highlight of the day was a Golden Eagle sighting (unconfirmed), and a brown Pelican sighting (confirmed).  Having spent most of my life in Canada, I never get tired of seeing Pelicans in California.  They're such a unique, prehistoric looking bird.

I spoke to a Park Ranger about the best locations to see Burrowing Owls.  He very reluctantly told me they might be seen at the Drakes Beach Road Junction.  We didn't make it out there today, and I'm not entirely sure if the ranger was actually trying to send us in the wrong direction or not.  He really seemed generally irritated about me trying to find them.  I'm assuming he was probably trying to keep bird-nuts away from the owls ? 

When we jumped out of the car to get a good view of the Tule Elk today we found someone's iphone.
We contacted one of the owners friends, and are currently trying to return it to them.

Overall it was a satisfactory first day of birding, but a great way to spend New Year's day.

No comments: